Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Back to Reality

Well, I'll be GOBSMACKED! Christmas is over? One minute I was knee-deep in wrapping paper, with a Snowball (best holiday drink ever) in one hand and a two-inch block of toffee in the other, and the next minute I'm figuring out what the heck I'm going to wear to work tomorrow.

Yeah, that's pretty depressing. But I have to say, I tend to like New Year's. I always feel like I have oodles of free time all of a sudden, what with the not having to bake and/or shop. And I usually have lots and lots of resolutions to fill up that free time . . . for at least the first week.

This year, I'm taking a kinder, gentler approach to resolution-making. We're calling them GOALS this year. Maybe even ASPIRATIONS. They're pretty broad little goals, but each can be broken down to lots of little resolution-like sub-goals.

Aspiration #1: Be more creative. This includes things like trying more new recipes that are more challenging, actually practicing the piano AND the violin, finally learning to sew, and the biggie -- starting the novel I've been meaning to right since I was eight years old.

Aspiration #2: Act like a thin person. I'm really tired of the whole I-Resolve-To-Lose-100-Pounds-By-Next-Year business. And I'm tired of waiting for fun things like getting my nose pierced and learning to belly dance. So I'm going to pretend that I'm already thin and just go ahead and do those things. Of course, most thin people I know eat pretty healthy and exercise, so I'll have to do that, too, but I prefer to focus on "Hey! I can get my nose pierced!"

Now I'm off to eat one last piece of toffee.

(On a more serious-in-the-Lewis-household note, Tom the Cat decided sometime late this afternoon to go for a stroll in the neighborhood and hasn't come home yet. We're a bit concerned because the coldest night of the winter thus far is not the best time for a teeny little grey cat to go for a stroll. Keep your fingers crossed. We are already down one cat and I'm not quite up for losing the second one.)

2 comments:

Jonathan's Mommy said...

I love your aspirations! I guess I need to make some myself...

Hope Tom is back by the time I'm writing this!

Kelley said...

Oh Kara! I hope Tom comes home!