Monday, March 24, 2008

Birthday Stretch-Out 2008, Part Three

Well, I knew it would happen. Birthday Stretch-Out 2008 has wound to a close.

This last stretch-out weekend was a good one. We only worked a half day on Friday, it being Good Friday and all. My friends and I turned to that traditional activity for a somber holiday such as this one -- margaritas! As it turns out, the Mexican restaurant also celebrates Good Friday -- by raising their margarita prices. Must be a cultural thing.

Saturday Todd and I had a good long, lazy, hanging out day. We went to the dive shop and poked around, nodding seriously to one another and not looking shocked at all when the store owner told us the cost of a diving "starter kit." (Boy howdy, one of us is going to have to pimp out the other in a serious way to get "started" on buying our own equipment. Sheesh.) We capped off the afternoon by getting in touch with our inner 12-year-olds with White Castles and an Imax movie.

Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus, and Todd WILL eat junk food. But only for serious holidays.

Saturday night I picked Maido for my birthday weekend dinner. This served two equally important purposes: I got to eat at Maido, which is totally cool and delish, and I got to confirm that Todd really does love me, seeing as how he's willing to eat sushi with me. I considered celebrating my thirty-some-odd years with a blowfish-infused sake, but really . . . a girl's got to draw the line somewhere.

Easter Sunday, we went to church (the early service, to avoid the random screaming children who invariably show up on Easter Sunday, hopped up on chocolate and jelly beans), then to my sister's for a triple celebration -- my birthday, Emily's birthday, and oh, yeah, the resurrection. We ate a ton, and STILL came home with an entire chocolate cake.

And tonight, Todd cooked me a fantastic actual-birthday dinner: grilled steaks, baked potato, white asparagus, shrimp cocktail, and chocolate cheesecake for dessert. I feel a bit like the girl in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory who blew up into a big, oversized blueberry because she was so gluttonous.

But I also feel cozy and loved, and satisfactorily celebrated-out. And that's exactly how you're supposed to feel at the end of Birthday Stretch-Out Month. I highly recommend it.

2 comments:

Kelley said...

Kara, I don't know how you all manage to work full-time, and still eat so fabulously at home.

Jonathan's Mommy said...

WOW, that dinner sounds incredible! Go Todd!