Saturday, April 28, 2007

Lazy Saturday

Well, a lot of people accomplished a lot of things today. Some people accomplished 26.2 things, others, 13.1 . . . miles, that is. Today was marathon/mini day here in Louisville, which meant I had to get up at 6:00 a.m. to take Todd for bike patrol duty.

I briefly had big thoughts of doing grocery shopping, cleaning house, and generally being productive while all those people were being so industrious. But, in the end, I came back home and slept. Even Sam and Penny slept.

Ah, the lazy Saturday. There's not much better. A good book and some bad TV, and that's really all a body needs. I did actually do the grocery shopping, but at a much more humane hour. And, I managed to work in an afternoon nap. I feel so accomplished!

Big Saturday evening plans include two of my dad's steaks, a bottle of wine, and some outdoor knitting (if I'm feeling up to it after the day's strenuous events). Since I hope to post the occasional fun recipe, I thought I'd start with our summertime favorite: garbage potatoes. Not a recipe, really, which is why it's perfect for the laziest of Saturday nights. I think tonight, ours will use some of the blue cheese I bought at Costco . . . yum!

Garbage Potatoes

Red potatoes
Sour Cream
Garbage*

Cut the potatoes into cubes, boil and drain. Add in sour cream to taste and your garbage. Stir together. I recommend stirring rather "vigorously" so the potatoes are sort of "semi-mashed". I always add lots of salt and pepper at the end.

*Garbage includes anything in your fridge you want to get rid of. Shopping specifically for garbage potato ingredients is discouraged and sometimes laughed at, but I confess to doing it to produce the perfect garbage potatoes. Some of the best "garbage" are shredded cheese, green onions, bacon crumbles, salsa, horseradish, garlic, etc., etc., etc.

2 comments:

Bryan said...

Hmmm, invitation must have gotten lost in the mail. Like you had the energy to mail any. Ha. Oh well, back to the bourbon. JBF

Jonathan's Mommy said...

That sounds like a perfect day! Ah, I long for the days that we could just lounge around before Jonathan was born...